Friday, February 24, 2012

SPOILER ALERT! Review for "Switched" by Amanda Hocking

For a while now people have been suggesting that I read up on author/phenomenon Amanda Hocking. They told me that if I could figure out how she became such a success, that I could do the same things with my books. Amanda Hocking started out as a self published author and popularized her books by getting people to review them and such. I've had my eye on a few of her stories for a while now, and I thought 'even if I don't manage to do things how she did them, that I'd still want to read her books.'
So, when I got my tax refund I spoiled myself with quite a few books, and one of them was "Switched" by Amanda Hocking. Now, those of you who know me, know that I'm always on the go; I'm so busy I don't really have much time to myself, let alone time to read (as it is, I'm writing this blog in the time slot between work and school since I already ate)! This book is roughly three hundred pages, and I still managed to read it in under three days! I couldn't put it down!
WARNING: I MAY GIVE AWAY PARTS OR SCENES OF THIS STORY, SO IF YOU'D RATHER READ IT WITHOUT THE SPOILER STOP NOW! I SHOULD BE POSTING A SIMPLIFIED REVIEW ON GOODREADS AND AMAZON THAT WILL BE SPOILER-FREE AT A LATER TIME!
This book started out fantastic! I was excited right off the bat and I love Amanda's witty writing! There was an immediate action scene where the main character was nearly killed by her own 'mother.' I was hooked...
The book progressed and I felt a longing to find out the outcome of the sparking romance between Wendy and Finn. The story got slow around the middle and I must admit I got a little irritated and a tad bit anxious (but then again, if I was able to read more often and get through the slow parts faster, I might have been satisfied at the pace of the story). I kept reading and I felt really connected to a couple of the characters like Rhys and Tove, and I love the personalities Amanda gave them!
The story didn't end the way I thought it would, and when the action hit, it hit hard! I was expecting it, but also not, and I still found my heart pounding in anticipation. While I'm not used to the way this book read, I'm terribly excited to buy the concluding two in the trilogy! I give this book a four star, and I recommend it to young adults and adults alike.
What do you think? Have you read the story? I'd love to hear your comments! Ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment